Wednesday, August 15, 2012

RTW: Let's talk sports...

Gotta love Road Trip Wednesday! It's a weekly blog hop hosted by YA Highway!

This week's post...


In honor of the end of the Olympics, share your favorite sports book


I'm kind of a fail New Zealander. We're a sports mad country. We're all about our rugby, and we follow the cricket and netball, we're pretty good at the old sailing and scored the America's Cup more than once.... we're brought up in the outdoors, we participate in the Saturday morning sports and we're encouraged to "Take a kid to Footy" during the winter. It was the 'cool thing to do'.

Now I do enjoy watching a bit of sports here and there. I got right on into the Olympics. The Opening Ceremony and the Closing Ceremony - just wow. Blew my mind. The gymnastics too, I love watching the gymnastics. Unfortunately that was about it. Mainly because I don't have a TV and also because America plays everything on a 5 hour tape delay, and they only show events that America is competing in. I really wanted to root for New Zealand you see...

Anyway, back to the question at hand... as I was saying, I'm not big on sports, and so when I read I typically don't read sporting related books. I read one once when I was 12. It was for school. It was a New Zealand book called Alex, about a teenage swimmer trying to get to the Olympics (fitting really). It was a good book from memory, but that's the only book that sticks out specifically about sports. But it's not a favourite book for me and I can't actually remember what happens in it...

SO I'm going to have to get a little creative here.....

I pick two. The first is Harry Potter. Now I can almost see you're face twisting and your mind whirring, saying 'that's not about sports.' Well think a little harder. Of course there is the Voldemort hunting and Horcrux hunting sport in the Deathly Hallows book.... then of course there's Quidditch! Now that's a pretty exciting sport! Flying around on broomsticks, trying to get the quaffle through the hoop with one particular team member desperately searching for a flying tiny golden ball. Doesn't get much better than that!

The second is The Hunger Games. It's a sport, right? For the people in the Capitol at least. Teenagers running around trying to kill the other opponents. Well okay, it's a pretty shocking sport, but it's a book about some form of sport, or game, nonetheless.

I'm really sorry, blog hoppers! That's the best I can do! I shall plan to redeem myself next week and in the meantime, if you have any recommendations of sports books that are simply great, do tell! It's obviously an area I'm lacking in!

5 comments:

  1. HP and HG might be a stretch, but they do have sports elements in them. Esp HG, which brings out the dark side of spectator sports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your creativity. I never thought of it that way, but The Hunger Games are kind of like our Olympics, but the opposite. Did that make sense? Likely not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's called THE HUNGER *GAMES* isn't it? So, yes, definitely a sports-themed book! :D I'm totally with you on being non-sporty, which is tough for a guy from the UK living in the US. Though, like you, I do follow major sports events (e.g., the World Cup, the Olympics, etc.). It's just not something I crave to watch or do a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete