Monday, October 29, 2012

Country music and the hunt for books

For the last five or so years I've struggled with where I fit when it comes to music. I would try and follow along with the lastest music on the radio, and while I was a teenager I mostly managed that. I enjoyed some of the pop music but I hated the rap, the hip hop and the electronic. I tried. Everyone who was 'cool' was into that stuff. Me, not so much.

I listened to The Beatles, The BeeGees, The Carpenter's and Abba. I borrowed my parents records and CDs, then eventually they, along with my Broadway favourites, made up the bulk of my iPod and iTunes. My FH knows music. He plays the piano like a pro, if I'm singing and slip slightly out of key, even for a nanosecond, he'll hear it, and he loves all genre's of music. Except One Direction. He hates it when I play One Direction. I'm a little more selective though. I don't like listening to Dubstep or pop songs remixed. It seems though in the last few months that I've found exactly where I fit when it comes to music. Oh I do fit in with the oldies classics and the Broadway showtunes crowd, but what I've REALLY discovered lately is country music.

In fact, I've gone all out country. It crept up on me actually. All the country songs that I've known I really have loved, but in New Zealand there really isn't a strong country music scene so I'd never had that much exposure to it. With the release of the new ABC series, Nashville, I quickly became obsessed, not just with the show but also with the soundtrack. It led to me searching for more country artists and before I knew it my country loving co-worker had introduced me to a whole new world of music.

What I've found about country music is that it hold a lot of heart and soul in the songs, and it really transports you to a specific time and place. Namely, the southern states. I love that.  It conjures up a lot of images in my head of places in the South, and people who live there. It gives me a lot of inspiration for my writing, and ideas for entirely new books.

I'm wondering, do you know of any country style books that have been written? The only ones I've read are ones about race relations in the 50s and 60s. Plus one time travel book set outside of Nashville. I'd really loved to find some other books set in the South of which the setting is important to the story, or really adds to the story. Anyone got any recommendations?

I told y'all, I've gone all out country. As soon as I acquire my cowboy boots and try grits for the first time, we'll be set!

Ps. On a completely un-country music note, I'm going to watch my Broadway idol Idina Menzel perform tonight and I am so excited I can't even put it into words - squee!

6 comments:

  1. My musical preferences are all over the map. I like country, but I'm more of a folk rock fan. I'm really big into Mumford & Sons and The Lumineers. But then I'm also crazy about Florence + the Machine and Imogen Heap who are nothing like those other groups. Generally, I tend to like songs and not so much albums. If I like a song--dance, country, folk, alternative--I listen to it and it doesn't matter how eclectic my playlist gets. :)

    Also, as I'm sure you already know, I'm a big Snow Patrol fan. Their concert was FANTASTIC! :) And I should probably mention that I can't get enough of the bagpipes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, typically mine are all over the map and generally I like songs rather than specific artists. For the most part this is still the case, but I think in terms of a 'genre' it's definitely country for me!

      Ah, you have good taste! I've been meaning to ask you how the Snow Patrol concert was! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Did you take photos? I love the bagpipes too! Reminds me of my time in Scotland!

      Delete
  2. My dad tried for years to get me into country but it wasn't really my thing. Glad you're enjoying it though! As for my music tastes, Snow Patrol is my favourite band ever (was at the same concert as Jaime and would rank it very high on my list of best experiences!) I tend to like movie soundtracks too. Listening to American Graffiti is a great midday boost!

    Have an amazing time listening to Idina Menzel tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow Patrol are amazing, I have to agree there! I haven't heard of American Graffiti though!

      Idina Menzel has been postponed due to the storm! So gutted! But I was getting worried that we'd have to go out in this madness!

      Delete
  3. If you haven't read "Their Eyes Were Watching God" yet, that should definitely go on your southern reading list. It really captures old Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH! I haven't read that, I'll put it on my list! Thanks!

      Delete