Friday, August 22, 2014

How do you find your voice?

This is something I've been thinking about for a while now. When I wrote my recent WIP I found my main characters voice as something that was a cross between mine and my little sister's. There are so many times the words she speak could be coming out of my little sister's mouth it's not funny. It was entirely unintentional to write like that, it just sort of .... happened.

So I'm wondering, how do you find your character voice? Is it someone close to you you draw inspiration from? Is it yourself? Is it pulled out of thin air?

Do you write in third person or do you prefer to write in first? What drives that choice?

My most recent WIP was written entirely in first person. I'm not sure why I chose to write it like that. I think maybe it was because at times I feel so like my MC. So like it could be me in her shoes, promoting what she's promoting and trying to achieve what she's trying to achieve. So maybe I thought it would be easier to write in first person. Well.... it wasn't. But it was certainly a great learning experience!

It's interesting, talking to different writers about how they write and why they choose to write like that. Why choose first or third person, why choose that particular voice, why choose that hair colour for your character. It's such a complex and complicated process the way we develop every tiny strand of our book and it's amazing how each person does it so incredibly differently!

No comments:

Post a Comment